- Popular Article2012The incredible adventures of a seedThe Hindu in School, 28 November
- Popular Article2012Dugongs, mermaids of the seaThe Hindu in School, 26 September
- Popular Article2012The singing farmers of the forestThe Hindu in School, 21 November
- Journal Article2012Trends in extinction and persistence of diurnal primates in Upper Brahmaputra ValleyOryx 46(2): 308-311Download
PDF, 345 KB
The historical deforestation of the Upper Brahmaputra Valley in the Indian state of Assam has resulted in the transformation of its once-contiguous lowland rainforests into many isolated forest fragments that are still rich in species, including primates. We report the recent history and current status of six diurnal primates in one large (2,098 ha) and three small (, 500 ha) fragments of the Upper Brahmaputra Valley. We censused primates in the small fragments during 2002, 2005, 2009, in the large fragment in 2008, and used other published census data to derive population trends. We also used key informant surveys to obtain historical occurrence data for these populations. Our analyses reveal the recent extinction of some populations and the simultaneous long-term persist- ence of others in these fragments over 16 years. Most populations appeared to have declined in the small fragments but primate abundance has increased signific- antly in the largest fragment over the last decade. Addressing the biomass needs of the local human populations, which appears to drive habitat degradation, and better protection of these forests, will be crucial in ensuring the future survival of this diverse and unique primate assemblage in the last rainforest fragments of the human-dominated Upper Brahmaputra Valley.
- Popular Article2012Shared parentingHindu Survey of the Environment, July 2012, pp. 88-97.Download
PDF, 8.61 MB
A programme to adopt hornbill nests in Arunachal Pradesh is giving these great birds a chance to survive in Pakke,
- Popular Article2012The fading of an invisible mapThe Hindu, February 11th, Magazine Section
- Popular Article2012Winter visitors from far awayThe Hindu in School, 16 October
- Popular Article2012கூடுகட்டவாகுருவி. (On House Sparrows)புதிய தலைமுறை. 19ஜூலை 2012 Puthiya Thalaimurai. 19th July 2012
- Popular Article2012அதிரப்பள்ளியும்அமிதாபச்சனும். (On Athirapalli Waterfalls,Dr. Amitha bachan’swork on Great Hornbills)புதிய தலைமுறை. 13 செப்டம்பர் 2012. Puthiya Thalaimurai. 13th September 2012.
அதிரப்பள்ளியும்அமிதாபச்சனும். காக்கைக்குருவிஎங்கள்ஜாதிதொடர்-10. புதியதலைமுறை. 13 செப்டம்பர் 2012.[Jeganathan, P. (2012).Athirapalliyum Amitha bachanum. Kakkai Kuruvi Engal Jathi-Series, ArticleNo.10Puthiya Thalaimurai. 13th September 2012. (On Athirapalli Waterfalls,Dr. Amitha bachan’swork on Great Hornbills)]
- Popular Article2012முந்தோன்றி மூத்தவரே. (On South Indian Primates)புதிய தலைமுறை. 16ஆகஸ்டு 2012. Puthiya Thalaimurai. 16th August 2012.
- Popular Article2012As the crow flies…The Hindu in School, 25 April
Jeganathan, P. (2012). As the crow flies… The Hindu in School, 25April.
- Working Paper2012A Critique of the Nyamjang Chhu Hydro-electric power project Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and Environmental Management Plan (EMP)NCF Working Paper 2, Nature Conservation Foundation, Mysore.
- Popular Article2012Attack of the killer fungusThe Hindu in School, 1 August
- Popular Article2012தட்டான் பார்க்கலாம் வாங்க (Lets watch Odonates)துளிர். ஜனவரி 2012. பக்கம் 16-18 / Thulir. Science monthly magazine for Kids. January Pp 7-10
தட்டான்பார்க்கலாம்வாங்க.துளிர். ஜனவரி 2012. பக்கம் 16-18. [Jeganathan, P. (2012).Thattan Pakkalam Vanga.Thulir. Science monthly magazine for Kids. January Pp 7-10(Lets watch Odonates)]
- Popular Article2012சின்னஞ்சிறுகுருவே…(On Ants)புதிய தலைமுறை. 26ஜூலை 2012. Puthiya Thalaimurai. 26th July 2012.
- Popular Article2012தேசாந்திரியின்தோற்றப்பிழை. (On the impact of polarized light on Wandering Gliders)புதிய தலைமுறை. 23 ஆகஸ்டு 2012. Puthiya Thalaimurai. 23rd August 2012.
- Popular Article2012Gowa of Ladakh!The Hindu in School, 11 July
- Popular Article2012Crows, but not quite...The Hindu in School, 4 July
- Popular Article2012Hornbills: farmers of our forestsThe Hindu in School, 4 April
- Popular Article2012The feathered forestersSaevus 1(4, Sep/Oct): 28-33.