- Journal Article2012Conservation needs of the Coconut Crab (Birgus latro) on the Nicobar Islands, IndiaOryx, 46: 175-178.Download
PDF, 139 KB
We describe the distribution of the coconut crab Birgus latro, categorized as Data Deficient on the IUCN Red List, local perspectives towards the species, and its conservation needs on the Nicobar Islands in the eastern Indian Ocean. The species is threatened with extinction across most of its range and in India it is found only on a few islands in the Andaman and Nicobar archipelagoes. We carried out informal discussions with Nicobari commu- nities to examine issues regarding conservation of the species and conducted timed searches in areas where coconut crabs were likely to be found. The discussions revealed that there are social taboos against hunting the coconut crab on most of the Nicobar Islands. However, on some islands these taboos are not being followed and community members may hunt the crab for consumption. Athough the coconut crab is legally protected under the Indian Wildlife Protection Act none of the villagers were aware of this. Of the six islands surveyed we recorded the presence of 17 and 14 crabs on two islands, respectively. On four islands villagers reported the presence of the crab prior to the tsunami of 2004, and on two of these islands the species may now be locally extinct. A small population size and a fragmented distribution in areas of coconut planta- tions suggest that the species is threatened. We recommend monitoring and detailed research on the ecology and genetics of the coconut crab, along with community-based conservation initiatives to conserve the species and its habitat.
- Popular Article2012Jalebis at the forest fenceThe Hindu in School, 6 March
- Popular Article2012Not just a boatmanThe Hindu in School, 5 September
- Popular Article2012Bird Migrations: Adaptations and threatsThe Hindu in School, 31 October
- Journal Article2012Averting biodiversity collapse in tropical forest protected areas.Nature 489: 290-294.
- Popular Article2012Dolphins for the GovernorThe Hindu in School, 22 August
- Popular Article2012The world of bats: echolocationThe Hindu in School, 9 May
- Popular Article2012A home for the house sparrowThe Hindu in School, 18 April
Jeganathan, P. (2012). A home for the house sparrow. The Hindu in School, 18 April.
- Journal Article2012Socio-economic drivers of Forest Cover Change in Assam: A Historical PerspectiveEconomic and Political Weekly 47(5): 64-72Download
PDF, 721 KB
This article analyses the historical context of forest cover change in the upper Brahmaputra Valley of Assam during the precolonial, colonial and the postcolonial periods, locating these changes within the political economy and demographic milieu of each regime.In the current context of rising populations linked to immigration from neighbouring regions, dwindling share of agriculture in the state’s gross domestic product, and recent incentives to small tea growers in risk-prone agricultural landscapes, serious challenges remain to securing forests in this region. Empowering local communities and institutions, understanding tea plantation dynamics and managing the causes and consequences of recent demographic change are crucial to the conservation of forests there.
- Popular Article2012Trans-Himalaya: In the shadows of a giantCare4Nature
- Popular Article2012என் பக்கத்து வீட்டு பழுப்புக் கீச்சான் (My friendly neighborhood Brown Shrike)தினமணி நாளிதழ் – கொண்டாட்டம் இணைப்பில். 26 பிப்ரவரி 2012. Dinamani- Tamil Newspaper. Date: 26thFebruary.
என்பக்கத்துவீட்டுபழுப்புக்கீச்சான்.தினமணிநாளிதழ் – கொண்டாட்டம்இணைப்பில். 26 பிப்ரவரி 2012. [Jeganathan, P. (2012)En pakkathu veetu pazuppu keechan.Dinamani- Tamil Newspaper. Date: 26thFebruary. (My friendly neighborhood Brown Shrike)]
- Journal Article2012Standardizing the double-observer survey method for estimating mountain ungulate prey of the endangered snow leopardOecologia DOI: 10.1007/s00442-011-2237-0
- Popular Article2012இடைவெளியும் இடையூறும் (Canopy gaps and obstacles: Canopy gaps above the forest roads and their impact on arboreal mammals of Western Ghats)Dinamani Tamil Newspaper. 29 January 2012.
இடைவெளியும் இடையூறும். தினமணி நாளிதழ் – கொண்டாட்டம் இணைப்பில். 29 ஜனவரி 2012. 3ம் பக்கம். [Jeganathan, P. (2012). Idaiveliyum Idayoorum. Dinamani- Tamil Newspaper. Date: 29th January (Canopy gaps and obstacles: Canopy gaps above the forest roads and their impact on arboreal mammals of Western Ghats) ]
Link for this article here.
- Popular Article2012நம் முகத்தில் முழித்த நரி (On Golden Jackal conservation)புதிய தலைமுறை. 20செப்டம்பர் 2012. Puthiya Thalaimurai. 20th September 2012.
- Popular Article2012காக்கா…காக்க...(On Crows)புதிய தலைமுறை. 12ஜூலை 2012 Puthiya Thalaimurai. 12th July 2012
- Popular Article2012The talking treeThe Hindu in School, 5 December
- Popular Article2012A thousand leopards in the SeaThe Hindu in School, 29 September
- Popular Article2012களைகள் ஓய்வதில்லை. (On Invasive Alien Plants)புதிய தலைமுறை. 27 செப்டம்பர் 2012. Puthiya Thalaimurai. 27th September 2012.
- Popular Article2012மரமும் மரியேனும். (On old trees and Marianne North)புதிய தலைமுறை. 18அக்டோபர் 2012. Puthiya Thalaimurai. 18th October 2012.
- Popular Article2012காட்டுக்குள்ளே ஷூட்டிங். (On impact of cinema shooting in wild habitats)புதிய தலைமுறை. 11அக்டோபர் 2012. Puthiya Thalaimurai. 11th October 2012.