- Popular Article2009Mountain rainforests. Quest for large mammals in the southern Western GhatsSanctuary Asia 29 (April): 48-53Download
PDF, 16.3 MB
The jeeps forming a crescent beside the forest stream switched on their headlights almost simultaneously, brightly illuminating
the drama unfolding before my eyes. Fifteen wild elephants were approaching the water from the forest beyond, unfazed by the presence of a horde of humans less than 20 m away. I was in Anakulam, a remote village in the rainforests near Eravikulam National Park in Kerala. During a field survey in the southern
Western Ghats, reports had filtered through of a fabled spot where elephants have been congregating since living memory to drink at a natural mineral spring. To ascertain the veracity of these stories, the Nature Conservation Foundation (NCF) team, led by Dr. A.J.T. Johnsingh, braved the rough, mountainous roads to Anakulam (meaning ‘elephant pond’) through dense Ochlandra reed brakes, arriving at dusk, only to find the locals playing cricket beside the stream!
- Popular Article2009In troubled watersHindustan Times, 21st January
- Popular Article2008Shifting livelihood options and changing attitudes in the Garo hills, western MeghalayaCurrent Conservation
- Popular Article2008Eastern PromisesSimplifly - Deccan inflight magazine
- Popular Article2008Out of the BlueSanctuary Asia, Vol. XXVIII No.1, 40-45.
- Popular Article2007Namdapha: beyond the tiger.The Hindu Survey of the Environment 2007, pp. 89-95.
- Popular Article2007Succeeding poorly or failing better?Seminar 577: 53-57
- Popular Article2007Spinners and Stalkers.Deccan Herald (School Edition), December 19, page 3. Bangalore.
- Popular Article2006Making headway: Lisus, Namdapha officials 'talk' in Arunachal.Down to Earth. April 15. pp. 44.
- Popular Article2006Wildlife research in IndiaCentral Chronicle, 11 Nov 2006
- Popular Article2006Fenced out: wildlife research in IndiaDown To Earth, 15 Nov 2006
- Popular Article2005Fading fauna, forgotten people.Down to Earth. Sept 15.
- Popular Article2005Shot down by friendly fireIndian Express 3 July 2005
- Popular Article2005Shot down by friendly fireDown To Earth 30 June 2005
- Popular Article2005High on hornbills.Wildlife Conservation magazine. June 2005.
- Popular Article2004Rainforest revival.Sanctuary Asia 24(2): 38-41.
- Popular Article2004Bandipur-Brazil: the falloutsDown To Earth 30 October 2004
- Popular Article2000Can markets save endangered species?The Economic Times, 17 October 2000
- Popular Article2000Fading flora, vanishing faunaThe Hindu, 10 December 2000
- Popular Article1998Restricting human activitySeminar 466 :70-73