- Popular Article2018Paravai Thangigal பறவைத் தாங்கிகள்The Hindu Tamil News Daily, Uyirmoochu Supplement. 17th February 2018
Jeganathan, P. (2018). Paravai Thangigal (On natural and artificial bird perches). The Hindu Tamil News Daily, Uyirmoochu Supplement. 17th February 2018.Link here.
- Popular Article2018Nadiyai Nadi நாடியை நாடிThe Hindu Tamil News Daily, Uyirmoochu Supplement. 8th September 2018.
Jeganathan, P. (2018). Nadiyai Nadi (On watching Lesser Noddy in Tamil Nadu). The Hindu Tamil News Daily, Uyirmoochu Supplement. 8th September 2018.Link here.
- Popular Article2018Kolap Paravaigal கோலப் பறவைகள்The Hindu Tamil News Daily, Uyirmoochu Supplement. 27th January
Jeganathan, P. (2018). Kolap Paravaigal (On birds in Pongal Kolam (Rangoli) in Tamil Nadu). The Hindu Tamil News Daily, Uyirmoochu Supplement. 27th January 2018.Link here.
- Popular Article2017Sengal Narai darisanamum, aaru mani kuruviyin azaippum. செங்கால் நாரையின் தரிசனமும், ஆறு மணிக்குருவியின் அழைப்பும்The Hindu Tamil Magazine-Sitirai Special issue–April 2017.
Jeganathan, P. (2017). Sengal Narai darisanamum, aaru mani kuruviyin azaippum (On the wildlife and wild places of Villupuram District). The Hindu Tamil Sitirai Malar (சித்திரை மலர்). The Hindu Magazine-Sitirai Special issue–April 2017.
Full article can be seen in this blog here
- Popular Article2017Thamilagathil thenbadum azivin vilimbil ulla paravaigal . தமிழகத்தில் தென்படும் அழிவின் விளம்பில் உள்ள பறவைகள்Manorama Year Book (in Tamil) 2017.
Jeganathan, P. (2017). Thamilagathil thenbadum azivin vilimbil ulla paravaigal (Threatened birds of Tamil Nadu). Manorama Year Book 2018. Malayala Manorama Press, Kottayam – 686 001. December 2017.
- Popular Article2017Basheer’s Hawk EagleSAEVUS Magazine. March 2017. Pp 98-99.Download
PDF, 130 KB
Tamil version of this article is here -
- Popular Article2017Oru Paravai Pola Mithakirene. ஒரு பறவை போல மிதக்கிறேனே.The Hindu Tamil News Daily, Uyirmoochu Supplement. 14th January
- Popular Article2016The silence of India's wildlife scientists, including myself, rings louder than gunshots.Scroll.in, 20 September 2016.
Eight reasons why those like me stay away from India's most important debates.
Republished from my blogpost at View from Elephant Hills: http://coyot.es/elephanthills/2016/09/16/conversation-biology-eight-reasons-why-i-am-a-silent-scientist/
- Popular Article2016Hornbills: the feathered foresters.Mudappa, D. 2016. JLR Explore, 15 May 2016.
Most of us are familiar with charismatic mammals such as tigers, elephants and apes. And there are charismatic species amongst birds too: bustards, cranes, eagles. But in the Asian and African tropics are birds that gain charisma from their large size, spectacular appearance, and extraordinary breeding habits: the hornbills.
- Popular Article2016Icons of Anamalais: Malabar Whistling ThrushPollachi Papyrus, July – September 3(3): 38-41.
Shorter, edited version of article ‘Musician of the Monsoon’ that appeared in The Hindu Sunday Magazine on 6 Sep 2009.
- Popular Article2016The culling fieldsThe Hindu (op-ed) 17 June 2016, page 9.
A better approach to man-wildlife conflict management requires an integration of scientific evidence, animal behaviour, and landscape and socio-economic context.
- Popular Article2016Rātriñcaranmār [In Malayalam: Night rangers, article on small carnivores].Koodu, October 4(5): 70-72.
- Popular Article2016தன்னை அறியும் யானைகளின் துயரை அறிவோம். (On threats to Asian elephants)The Hindu Tamil Diwali Malar.
Jeganathan, P. (2016). Thannai Ariyum Yanaigalin Thuyarai Arivom (On threats to Asian elephants). The Hindu Tamil Diwali Malar. The Hindu Magazine-Diwali Special issue–November 2016. Pp.222-230. Link here.
- Popular Article2016Get the monkey off the back.The Tribune (op-ed), page 9.
The decision to cull macaques is clearly a dramatic response by the Himachal Pradesh government to defuse a situation that was turning into a public embarrassment. There are other ways to negotiate the man-animal conflict at the heart of the issue.
- Popular Article2016Rendezvous with GabbarThe Hindu in School, 3 February
- Popular Article2016River under attackThe Hindu in School, 10 February
- Popular Article2015The long road to growthThe Hindu, Op-ed Comment, 19 March 2015, Page 9.
As power lines and roads slice up forest cover, it becomes clear that a knowledge economy must tackle development with a wider perspective than that of mere short-term gains. Available from here: http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/the-long-road-to-growth/article7008158.ece
In Tamil translation by P. Jeganathan in The Hindu Tamil and here: http://blog.ncf-india.org/2015/04/19/the-long-road-to-growth_tamil-version/
- Popular Article2015Road to perditionFountain Ink, July 2015, 4(9): 30-44.
The central government has started relaxing norms that protect the environment in favour of industry and development projects, leading to loss of forests, habitat, and wildlife.
Available here: http://fountainink.in/?p=7197&all=1
- Popular Article2015A range of faunaFrontline, January 9, 2015 Pages: 67-82Download
PDF, 2.77 MB
An account of a trek in Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve, Tamil Nadu.
- Popular Article2015Leopard landscapes: coexisting with carnivores in countryside and cityEconomic and Political Weekly, Web Exclusive, 3 January 2015
Web Exclusive, available here: