Education and Public Engagement
The connection that we as individuals have to Nature arises primarily through first-hand contact with animals and plants; with some kind of wilderness. Can we help make these connections? Once made, can we help nurture and develop them? In this programme, we complement other education work at NCF by engaging children and adults in ecological observation; and by developing, displaying and distributing nature education material.
Although we know that the natural world is changing rapidly, there is very little information on the details, especially from a country like India, with tremendous biodiversity and relatively little research. One solution is for scientists and interested members of the public to team up to monitor what is happening. Our two primary projects along these lines look at bird distribution & abundance, and at tree seasonality.
Nature education material
The natural world is wonderfully diverse and varied. How can we convey our affection and fascination with nature to others? Over the years, NCF has developed a variety of material attempting to do this; and we continue to try to design and produce appealing and accurate material of this kind.
Writing for a broader audience
Many of us at NCF love to write, and through our writing, to describe our affection for nature. We write blog posts, and articles for newspapers, magazines and more. Our audience in this is varied: the general public, interested citizens, children. Describing what we value and explaining why we value it is as important as our research and conservation work.
- Popular Article2017Life of PineThe Hindu in School, 8 March
- Popular Article2016A four-horned flash of goldThe Hindu in School, 6 January
- Popular Article2016Rendezvous with GabbarThe Hindu in School, 3 February
- Popular Article2016River under attackThe Hindu in School, 10 February
- Popular Article2016New year on the reefThe Hindu in School, 22 March
- Popular Article2016The Fig and the WaspThe Hindu in School, 21 September
- Popular Article2016God's favouritesThe Hindu in School, 29 June
- Popular Article2016Shekru sees a blazing issueThe Hindu in School, 13 July
- Popular Article2016The joy of cloudspottingThe Hindu in School, 31 August
- Popular Article2016An alien in the woodsThe Hindu in School, 3 August