|vacancy: programme associate (western ghats)|
|Are you a person with a solid foundation in ecology/conservation science who is keen on working beyond science? We are seeking a candidate in a supporting role for a species-focussed conservation policy project to contribute to various project tasks, ranging from research and policy to accounts and administration. We also expect the candidate to be willing to support other programmatic tasks. The candidate in this position is expected to work closely with a Senior Scientist and should be willing to take on a range of desk- and field-based tasks, if necessary, by acquiring new skills. The position is initially for one year, but may be extended for suitable candidates.
A candidate with a good grasp of science and strong communication skills is ideal for this job. Prior experience in research, data collection, analysis, networking and publication of results would be useful. A keenness to work beyond research and academics is crucial.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Excellent conceptual grasp of ecology, conservation and policy issues
- Strong foundation and versatile skills in GIS, mapping, databases and basic quantitative analysis
- Competence in using Internet and Web 2.0 technologies
- Excellent writing skills in English. Written and spoken skills in a regional language would be a major advantage.
- Excellent people skills.
- Ability to coordinate and time-manage teams spread across institutions.
- Familiarity with project management and accounting.
- A Masters degree or PhD in ecology or allied disciplines
- The ideal candidate will be less than 35 years old
Specific responsibilities for this position include –
- Technical tasks: Helping plan and coordinate programmatic activities, provide research support to policy engagements and assist with proposal writing/reporting.
- External relations: communicating with donors, partners and governments
- Internal coordination: help interface with programme and institutional administration
- Provide administrative support as and when necessary for programme activities
- Arranging / organizing / coordinating programme events such as meetings and workshops.
- Proactively build programme resources, including organisation of publications, websites & photographs.
LOCATION & REMUNERATION
This position is based in Mysore. Remuneration is competitive and commensurate with the applicant’s qualifications and experience. Continuation will be subject to periodic performance assessments.
Please apply with your detailed CV and a 500-word statement in English on why you believe you may be the right candidate for this job. Please email these to email@example.com. Shortlisted candidates must be willing to travel to Mysore/Bangalore at their cost for a personal interview. We intend to fill this vacancy by mid-July 2013, but will keep the position open until a suitable candidate is found.